- Children’s programs have been a mainstay of the Herr Memorial Library’s services for nearly 70 years, and as educational standards and practices have improved, so has children’s programming. Because “Story Time” no longer accurately reflects the content and educational value of the creative early-learning programs offered by the staff, the library offers free Discover programs on Wednesday and Thursday mornings before the library is open to the public.
- The library’s Discover program for infants from birth to 18 months of age is held on Wednesdays at 9:30 a.m. It features the use of simple stories, rhymes, and songs. Since they are held by their parents and caregivers during the program, infants also begin to associate reading with comfort and security. In addition, adults learn from library staff how to continue teaching early-literacy skills at home.
- Discover for toddlers ages 18 months to 3 years is held on Thursdays at 9:30 a.m. It includes many of the same activities, along with the addition of some hands-on activities that include simple musical instruments.
- The library’s Discover program for preschoolers ages 3 to 5 who are not yet in kindergarten is held on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 10:10 a.m. It includes all of the above activities along with a focus on learning specific skills such as color, shape, and letter recognition through a variety of activities.
For more information about Discover, call 966-0831, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the library at 500 Market Street in Mifflinburg. Herr Memorial Library is open from 7 to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday, and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday.
- Along with the Discover programs, the Herr Library also offers a summer reading program each year! The 2012 theme was “Dream Big–READ!” To see photos from this past summer, click HERE!
- The 2013 theme is “Dig Into Reading.” More information will be available soon!!
I Love to Read! Kid’s Challenge
- Throughout the year, the Herr Memorial Library supports the “I Love to Read” children’s reading challenge. Each month, children are encouraged to read books on specific topics related to that month’s theme. For each book completed, children can enter a prize drawing! For more information, visit the library and pick up a monthly calendar, available in the lobby!